Thursday, May 18, 2006

Redbeard's Mockingbird, part iii

From Chapter 8 -

"Next morning, I awoke, looked out the window and nearly died of fright."

I'm trying to imagine never seeing snow before, and my reaction to it. I can't imagine that I would freak out that much. Especially if it was a gentle, drifting snow. The only atmospheric thing that I can think to compare it to would be a volcano's spewing ash. Now, that would be scary. Do you think Scout had that much exposure to world history, to think it was like some Pompeian nightmare?

"Someday, maybe, Scout can thank him for covering her up."
"Thank who?" I asked.

That Boo Radley's sure antisocially creepy. I mean, he's trying to be a nice guy, I guess. But wouldn't it freak you out if someone draped a blanket over your shoulders, and then was gone. He seemed normal (ish) at the end, but why wouldn't he stick around?

Do you think Uncle Jack Finch is gay? I read a couple of things and that struck me, but now I can't find the quotes. I must not have marked them.

From Chapter 10 -

A jew's harp.

"The rifle cracked. Tim Johnson leaped, flopped over and crumpled on the sidewalk in a brown-and-white heap."

This was the only part of the story that I thought was a little off, or maybe formulaic. Scout's doubting her father's manliness, then he happens to be the best shot in town? A little contrived. Don't get me wrong, it's very Atticus that he kept it from his kids, he's not a braggart, but still.

More later. I've got something to say about Mrs. Dubose. It'll have to wait, though. And, you better be reading these, your Grace. *points finger*

1 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

oh I am SO reading these!

Larry didn't see snow until he was about 10--he wasn't scared--just thrilled...

I'm getting ready for Whitney's OPAL program now...more thoughts later....

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home