Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Redbeard's Mockingbird, part two

From Chapter 4 -

"Inside were two scrubbed and polished pennies, on top of one another."

What is it about old coins that fascinates people. Maybe it's just that it's unfamiliar money. Maybe, as a kid, you can't imagine something around before you. Wait. One was a 1900, and the other, a 1906. How far apart were Scout and Jem? *breezes back through the beginning*

"..four years my senior.." Hmm. okay, maybe not.

From Chapter 5 -

scuppernong. A green grape indigenous to the southern states of America. To eat a scuppernong, one must put the grape between the front teeth, stem end pointing into the mouth, then squeeze gently to burst the grape. The pulp is thick and viscous. The seeds, which are very bitter and unpleasant tasting, can be extracted or spit out. Some people choose to swallow the seeds.

"Do you smell my mimosa? It's like angel's breath this evening."

Okay, when I first read this, I thought she was talking about the cocktail. That sort of fruity drink common to bridal mornings at the hair salon. Turns out it's a tree. But I'm sure everyone else got that right away. I should have been curious about why Miss Maudie was drinking in front of the children, alone; but I figured "hey, its the South. I've seen Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."

"Thing is, foot-washers think women are a sin by definition. They take the Bible literally, you know."

Literalists make me mad. How can you possibly take everything in the Bible literally? The most popular translation of the Bible before medieval times was Ancient Greek. They used no spaces when they wrote. Soeverythingiswrittenlikethis. There are mistakes. Scribes aren't the Pope, they're not infallible. So how can someone possibly take the text of the Bible at its literal meaning, knowing this?

From Chapter 6 -

"Jem whistled bob-white."

Was anyone else whistling this after they read it? When I was in scouts, we had to learn some bird calls, and it was fascinating that we could communicate with each other without seeing each other, and without using a 'language.' That line just reminded me of something I haven't thought of in years.

"When I went back-" Jem took a deep breath. "When I went back, they were folded across the fence... like they were expectin' me."
Boo Radley, I must assume. But this passage assumes a couple of things if you look deeper into it. First, Jem noticed that the pants were not as he left them. Would a normal kid notice that? And second, wouldn't it be creepy to notice it? There in the field where you were a few hours before, and someone had been there, may still be there? *shivers*

And, I don't have anything else noted in my copy of the book until Chapter 12. There are things of note in there, but I'll have to pore over those chapters again. More soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Degolar said...

I had wondered about the whole mimosa thing, too. Thanks for clearing it up.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home