Friday, April 28, 2006

These Kids Are Smart

I've got a rant, I'm sure, about Miss Caroline's educational philosophy, but I'm also sure there's not much point since most everyone would agree with me. More important in my eyes than the fact that Atticus taught his kids to read is the way he did so. He never talks down to them or treats them like kids. He doesn't simplify his vocabulary or give them simplified reading material. He talks to them the way he would any other person, and as a result they are bright and articulate. People don't give kids enough credit. They think and feel much the same way adults do, they just haven't always learned to express it like those who've had more time to work on it. But they will rise to the level of your (consistent) expectations. If you use sophisticated language and complex thought processes with them they will pick it up. If they spend the majority of their time with adults who talk down to them and other kids who have only been talked down to, they will develop that articulation more slowly. I am obviously in favor of early reading instruction, but we mustn't forget the verbal.

(And even with all that, they are still kids--thus the fear/obsession with Boo Radley, silly games, self-centeredness, fixation on obvious legends, etc.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Yeah...I once asked my parents why they didn't home school us--afterall, they are both really, really smart and are both terrific teachers--why did they subject my brother and I to so many lame teachers in the oh-so small town we grew up in? We could have learned so much more. My dad's answer was that if you're home schooled, you're only surrounded by people who care about you. In public school you learn that not everyone is on your side, and you learn to live in that world. As I read about Scout's educational experiences, I was reminded of this...

5:55 PM  
Blogger edh said...

What struck me about the Miss Caroline passages were how very young she was. What, was she all of 21? And I'm sure there were younger teachers in classrooms in tiny towns all over the nation at that time too. Somehow, I am always convinced that this novel is set in the 1930s rather than the 1960s (must Wikipedia that) and I always want to compare Miss Caro to my grandmother, who taught in a tiny school in rural Kansas about that time. Knowing her, she would NOT have patted Scout on the hand with the ruler. She would have waled on her if the occasion arose. But my grandma never would have said anything to Walter Cunningham. She was the type of person to observe him quietly the first day, and bring a sandwich the next to hide in his desk.

"She looked and smelled like a peppermint drop." And she taught using the "Dewey Decimal System." When I was a high schooler, I was completely unable to appreciate the humor there. And the sensory stuff was just part of being in school-- I was *always* fascinated by teachers' scents. Invariably the best teachers smelled like Love's Baby Soft or some really nice musky cologne, while the mean ones smelled like lavender or sharp, prissy perfumes. Was it them, or was it me projecting my experience onto them and back into my nose? The world may never know...

7:32 PM  
Blogger Degolar said...

I agree with your dad's reasoning about homeschooling. They say it's not book smarts that determines your success in life, but social smarts. The book education may not be as good in school, but you learn how to co-exist with others.

9:30 PM  
Blogger asdfasdfadfasd said...

I agree with Degolar 100%. Hadrian and I had a short discussion about this the other day, and I must say that I believe that the social interactions that public school provides are an invaluable tool in real life.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Ah--Love's Baby Soft! You crack me up, Erin! I hadn't thought about that, but you're right...I can remember specific details relating to scent and my teachers. One smelled like moth balls, but I loved her because she was brilliant and challenging. One smelled like moth balls, and I despised her because she was a mean control freak. There were lots of flowery smells I can't identify.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home