Tuesday, May 09, 2006

No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater, than central air.

As you may have read, I finished the book last night. So now, I'll sift through my notes and post my thoughts about what I've read. I should have posted as I read, as [most of] the rest of you are. But I didn't. After some vigorous arm-twisting by Her Grace, I'll now proceed. Chapters 1-3 below.

From Chapter 1-

Hoover Carts- Old automobiles hitched to teams of horses, because their owners couldn't afford gasoline. And you thought you had it bad at the pump.

"Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum."

What a great description. You can just imagine some flabby ladies with damp powder covering their skin. Yuck. That would also be an apt description for how most of us feel in the humid KC summers. Thank god for air-conditioning. And on the note of deities and AC, you'll notice the title of my post, taken from Dogma.

"Dill was a curiosity. He wore blue linen shorts that buttoned to his shirt."

That is curious, to say the least. Where do they button together?

Chinaberry trees.

"In spite of our warnings and explanations it drew him as the moon draws water."

I love that line.

Flivver- an old, inexpensive car, a Model T.

Beadle- A minor parish official formerly employed in an English church to usher and keep order during services.

From Chapter 2-

"Your father does not know how to teach. You can have a seat now."

Ooh, bitch. You'd better watch what you say around Scout. And, how completely rude to say that to a child who can read better than everyone in the class. Miss Caroline, you'd better watch out.

"Are we poor, Atticus?"
"Atticus nodded, "We are indeed."

Who would be so honest with their child (or themselves) in this day and age? The poor, or the working poor, (generally speaking), go to great extents to hide their poorness. Being poor is a source of embarrassment now. And, this is due to the duping of American consumers by advertising and businesses. We're living beyond our means. The national savings rate is negative. Negative. No wonder there won't be any Social Security and medicare. People make terrible money decisions.

From Chapter 3-

"One of the elderly members of the class answered her..."

Hilarious. And terrible. That line jabs at the state of schools and education during this period in the South.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Finally! ;)

Please sir, could I have some more? ;)

Even when I don't comment, I read everything...and I'm always sad when there are no new posts over here.. (even though I'm lazy and haven't posted for a while...I'll do it tonight)...I wish there was a way in blogger to check "read & appreciated" or sorta a non-verbal hand-clap...

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home