Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Captain breaks self-imposed exile.

Well, with 75 pages left of the book, I'm faced with a quandary. Should I wait to post anything until the end? Or shall I post everything all at once? Not at all? Do I have time to read it again and post while I read? Hmm. Maybe.

Let me say that I remember it as a good book when I read it in high school, but I sure am glad that we're reading it [again]. I love it. I'll echo Erica's laudations about the prose. Lee's writing is so seemingly simple, but you have everything you need.

I just heard a conspiracy theory that Truman Capote wrote Mockingbird. Is this what you were talking about at your dinner party, your Grace? Maybe we should look into In Cold Blood next..

3 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

No--I don't think he wrote Mockingbird...at the dinner party the other weekend, were just talking about how none of us realized how close Capote and Lee were... at least according to the movie, which I think is mostly accurate...she came to KS with him to research the story that grew into the novel, she was hitting her peak with Mockingbird at the same time he was agonizing over his book and the lives of the real characters--particularly those who killed other characters. She was the one who, in the end, talked him into going to the execution after Perry (the murderer) begged and pleaded with Capote to come and see him one last time and say goodbye. It was a really good movie. And it ended well--not happily, of course, but well.

7:57 PM  
Blogger edh said...

The character of Dill in TKAM is Capote, so I would think that if he even ghostwrote it Dill would have "somehow" ended up the star of the show, not Scout ;)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Really?!? How very interesting! And I agree with your assessment that Capote would not have been able to resist giving himself a bigger roll if he was the author/ghostwriter...

I'd love to know more about the background of the book, and while I know I can do a little research on my own...what else can you share with us?

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home