Sunday, May 14, 2006

Finis...and a few thoughts about the world of women

Ok...I'm done, too. Great book.

Although I hadn't read it before, I saw the movie a few years ago, and much of what I love about the book was dramatized there....(should I mention here that Gregory Peck played both Atticus Finch AND a certain whaling ship captain in another movie...ah...all thing are related my shipmates....)

One of the elements the movie left out were the lovely chapters/snippets where Scout feels the social obiligation to be a lady. I'll post more later about more important sections, but here are a few of my favorite lines from those world-of-women scenes...

"Aunt Alexandra stepped back. She gave Miss Maudie a look of pure gratitude, and I wondered at the world of women. Miss Maudie and Aunt Alexandra had never been especially close, and here was Aunty silently thanking her for something. For what, I knew not....There was no doubt about it, I must soon enter this world, where on its surface fragrant ladies rocked slowly, fanned gently, and drank cool water."

"Her voice soared over the clink of coffee cups and the soft bovine sounds of the ladies munching their danties."

"Ladies seemed to live in faint horror of men, seemed unwilling to approve wholeheartedly of them. But I liked them."

I can't imagine a scene more uncomfortable than a bunch of my great aunts sitting around drinking coffee and eating cake or cookies in the afternoon, with me in the middle trying to be good. I could be 14 or 34... it wouldn't matter...I'm still just as awkward...I love them, so I don't want to openly offend them, but I don't know how to please them, or even act like them. I'm not a true tom boy (I love shoes and lip gloss too much), but my homemaking skills/motivations leave much to be desired. I always think I'm a novelty to my aunts and other female relatives, and this chapter from TKM was oddly familar...the worlds of women are freakin' weird...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home